Photo courtesy Tourism Prince GeorgeClick to enlarge
The idea for Mr. PG originated with Harold Moffat in the late 1950’s, who believed Prince George needed a mascot to promote the forest industry and represent the City. He approached Hans Roine, a local Rotarian and sawmill owner with the idea and the first Mr. PG was created in 1960. It was a one and a half metre tall wooden man that stood outside the former Simon Fraser Hotel downtown on Quebec Street.
Due to his popularity, the City of Prince George built an 11.6 metre tall Mr. PG on a parade float for the May Day parade. In 1961 he won first place in the Kelowna Regatta and second prize in the Pacific National Exhibition parade. Mr. PG attained national recognition when he appeared in the 1963 Grey Cup Parade in Vancouver.
Over the years Mr. PG has found himself in many places. He was located downtown at 1st Avenue and George Street and later moved to the intersection of Highways 97 and 16. He has been celebrated in song and even appeared on a stamp in 2009 as part of Canada Post’s Roadside Attraction series. Mr. PG has his own Facebook page with over 5,000 likes!